Our school is using the Oxford Reading Scheme for home reading books and some small group guided reading interventions. The scheme includes books designed to support emergent readers, all the way up to Year 6 Greater Depth readers. Children choose a book on their level, based on their own interests. There are many different types of books to choose from, including Treetops; Project X; Biff, Chip and Kipper; Floppy Phonics and many more. All pupils also have access to Oxford Reading Buddy, an online reading platform which provides eBooks, coaching books and quizzes to assess comprehension.
All pupils are expected to engage in daily reading at home for at least ten minutes and get their diaries signed by an adult from Nursery to Year 6. All children have age- appropriate reading diaries in which all home and school reading should be recorded. These are checked by staff daily.
Aims of the scheme
The Oxford reading programme is designed to give children the very best start. With systematic phonics at its heart, Oxford Reading Tree's well-loved characters, breadth and unrivalled support make this ideal for all readers.
- Teach - using systematic phonics resources and training that really work
- Practise - with more decodable readers than any other reading programme
- Offer richer reading - through a huge selection of stories with children's best-loved characters
- Bridge the gap - with support for the transition from phonics into richer reading
- Make progress - through careful levelling
- Support parents - with detailed inside cover notes in every title