MATHS AT ST WULSTANS
Support at home
To support the understanding of Maths, we are beginning to create Videos which explain our written methods.
Follow the links for each year group:
Year 5 & 6-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee5HZItzVH4
Year 3 & 4- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05J75lFRcDU
Year 6 Long Multiplication (chunking method)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gzuajjRfE
Year 5 & 6- Short division- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5_Ju71KXN0
Year 3 & 4 Division- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGxJri2qxFs
Children work extremely hard during their time in school. However, if you would like to help your child with their learning at home, here are some aspects to focus on...
- Number bonds to 10 and 20.
- Number facts to 20
- Adding 10 to any single digit number (knowing the units don't change)
- Adding and subtracting 10 to any 2 digit number
- Near doubles e.g 7 + 6=
- Adding 1 and 0 to any number
- Number bonds to 10, 20, 100, 1000
- Adding 10, 100, 1000 to any number number (knowing the units don't change)
- Decimal and fraction fluency e.g 0.4 + __ = 1 4/10 + ? = 1
- Doubling and halving
- Dividing and multiplying by 10 100 1000
- Addition strategies- knowing addition facts to instantly recall e.g. 4 +8
- Dividing/multiplying by one and 0.
- Times Tables
The website below is engaging and fun for children and helps them to practice their fluency skills.
Top Marks: Hit the Button
Children in KS1 will also benefit from watching the BBC one programme 'NumberBlocks.’ There are powerful Mathematical concepts behind this programme and it is also very engaging. The episodes can be found on BBC I Player.
Can you solve any of the below with your children?